Tuesday, February 9, 2010

It's been a week already?

Yesterday marked my first week here! Time is flying, but at the same time, I feel like I've always been here.

I have volunteered now at The Hub, PLAYzone, and Mercy House. The people in these places are unique and special to me, each in a different way.

My first "drop-in" night at the Hub was Friday. I think I was viewed as "the new girl" by many of the kids, so I felt a distance from them. A big part of their Hub time is video games, and I'm not the best at those! I prayed God would give me a way to connect with those kids. Saturday was my second Hub night, and I really feel God answered my prayer. I had some good conversations, played games with the kids, and they just seemed so much more comfortable and accepting of me. I can't wait til this weekend! We're starting a new tutoring program this Thursday a The Hub. A woman from one of the local schools volunteered her afternoon to head up this program. What a blessing!

PLAYzone is such a precious place! The kids that attend are ages 3-5. Need I say more? They're just little lights in this world full of life and innocence. We have story time, craft time, and plenty of play time. They just say the most precious and, at times, the most random things. I can't help but have my heart smile at them.

Yesterday was my first shift at Mercy House. Some incredible women are staying there with incredible pasts. To even see the things they were going through the day that I was there... my heart went out to them. It was such a change between the first and second halves of my shift. The latter part of my shift was so precious to me. One of the women really opened up to me about all of her struggles and worries. I think the sweetest part of my day was being able to pray for her, with her. I felt like God just broke down barriers in so many ways. The kids staying at the house are so energetic and cute (and some are sick! pray for them!). The other 2 women in the house are both dealing with family and friend problems as well. I will leave the description at that to keep privacy. But if you think of it, please keep the women of Mercy House in prayer. I can see that God is working in them. They've come so far since the day they moved in. All profess to be Christian and their relationships with God are being strengthened at that House.

CrossTrainers is seeking to add another branch to their ministry called 411. It's based on 1Peter 4:11 "If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen." So basically we want to find out what needs are in the community (Physical, Spiritual, Mental, etc.) and find a way to meet those needs. We had a meeting this week to brainstorm ideas on what our first step should be. What we came up with was a week of service to the community during March break. Finding out what the past tenants of Mercy House need and blessing them. Also going out into the community and finding out what small projects people need done - whether it's house work, a ride somewhere, clothing... whatever it may be we're going to try and meet those needs. The exciting part for me is, we are going to get the youth center kids involved! And current members of Mercy House! Eventually, we want the people in the community to be able to help others in the community. We're really looking forward to what that week is going to look like and eventually the ministry of 411 in this town. Keep that week in prayer if you could, March 15-19.

On a more personal note, I love living with June (Jodi's mom). She is such a wise and caring woman. We have had some wonderful talks about everything and anything, but they always seem to come back to Jesus. I have learned so much from her already!

Thank you for your prayers and support as always! Talk to you all again soon.

Love, Leesh

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're having such a good time, Leesh!

    I'll be praying for the women at Mercy House & the other ministries :-)

    ReplyDelete